Saturday, March 14, 2009

I am the Worst...Mother


I feel terrible about the following experience and I am totally embarrassed to write it, but I am writing it down for Erica to read someday. Two days ago, Erica and I had just gotten home from the store. She has a tendency to run away from the front door when I want her to go in. After I unlocked the front door, I picked up the bags with one hand and Erica with the other and brought them both inside. I picked Erica up by her right arm with my hand around her forearm.


Well, she started throwing a fit. At first, I thought she was just mad I made her go inside, but none of the usual tricks were calming her down. She also kept holding the arm that I had used to pick her up. I remember hearing about kids shoulders popping out of joint easily at this age and I was worried I had just done that. I wasn't sure though because there was no popping sound or sudden movements when I picked her up.


It was just after 5pm so my doctor's office had already closed (of course). Instead, I called a nurse's line and she said I could have dislocated her arm or even broken it and that I needed to take her to the ER. I totally lost it at that point. I can't tell you how horrible it feels to have harmed your child to the point that you need to take her to the ER. When I called Troy, I could barely get the story out I was so upset.


The nearest ER was 40 minutes away. Plus, Troy wasn't home from work yet so he couldn't go with. I didn't want to drive that far with her arm hurting her. We had an urgent care about 15 minutes away, but I didn't know if they closed early or if they even treated children. I called the urgent care and they said to bring her in, but that I needed to get there before 6 to get an x-ray.


I bolted out of the house and arrived at 6:01. Too late for the x-ray, but it turns out I didn't need it anyway. However, the doctor came out within 30 seconds of my arrival and popped her elbow back into place. Within a few minutes, she was totally back to normal and it was if nothing had happened. When we met with the doctor, he said that her elbow had dislocated and it was very common at this age. If their arm is raised up and they move in a different direction, the elbow pops out of joint because her joints aren't fully developed. He said it was so common, they even have a name for it: Nursemaid's elbow.


I think Erica recovered from the experience quicker than I did. I still feel horrible about the whole thing and I'm so grateful she forgave me for causing her pain before we even got to urgent care. Poor little girl!!

18 comments:

james said...

I can guaranty that you are NOT the worst mother. The fact that you feel so badly about it shows a lot. It is quite a sad story though. Glad to hear that she's feeling back to normal.

barlows said...

I promise that if you are the WORST mother that I am a WORSTER mother. Caylee had nursemaid's joints! One time I was helping her up the step into our house (about 3 inches) and she wasn't coming in, so I pulled her up . . . popped her shoulder. One time she did the temper tantrum out-of-the-blue drop to the floor while I was holding her hand . . . popped her other shoulder. I was pulling her out of her carseat (this one really surprised me). . . pop goes the elbow. The last straw was when my brother had her hold his thumbs and he was lifting her up off the ground, suspension style because he's strong and can do that with the kids . . . pop went the shoulder again. I could almost feel the pop and with my brother I actually heard it. We finally put the ki-bosh on any pulling-on-the-appendages-of Caylee because the Dr. told us some kids are prone to looser joints until they get older. I confess, come kindergarten, I was a little freaked out about the monkey bars, but she seems to be fine now. Not that we yank on her to find out . . . but still. I'm glad she feels better and urgent care good fix her up right!

Mindi said...

Nancee, it happens!!! Riley's cousin did it to him in December! Now we are so careful with the both of them!! Glad that she is fine, hope you recover soon too! :)

Unknown said...

I am glad she's better. You are not a bad mom! Try your baby rolling off the couch as a newborn. That was terrible.

Janelle said...

Yep, Nancy....happens to lots of us "bad mothers". I did it to Elizabeth when she was about two, trying to keep her from running out the front door after some trick or treaters. Luckily, when I called my mom she knew what to do, and I was able to pop it back in myself!

Shar said...

I'm glad Erica is feeling better, and even though it was hard, I'm glad you shared the story. I worry about doing that same thing to K, and now I will try to be more careful. She has started throwing tantrums and going limp, and so when I pick her up all her weight is on her arms. I'll have to pay more attention to picking her up in a different way.

You are an awesome mom!

I hope we can see you when we come to AZ next month for Shawn's wedding. I think K would have so much fun with Erica! And the photo in this post proves it - they are SO much alike it's crazy! Maybe one day we'll live closer and they can play together.

have a great day!

The Fifes said...

no, don't feel bad! Thanks for sharing! It's good to know!

Mindi said...

Even the BEST moms have things like this happen, and I would way you fall into the category of BEST moms. After reading your post and comments, I can't believe it has never happened to one of my kids before. Crazy. I'm glad she forgave you so easy and I really hope you can forgive yourself now too!

M and M Madsen said...

Oh my goodness, I can totally imagine how freaked out you were! You are an amazing Mom! I am glad you wrote about this because I have never heard of it, and sounds like it is super common.

Annie said...

If you were the worst mother ever, you would have pointed and laughed at her, mocking her pain. And then you would have made nachos and eaten them in front of her without sharing. That would be the worst mother ever.

Heather said...

I will now be voiding out the "Mother of the Year" nomination form I was about to submit in your behalf. Just kidding Nancee! You've got to take it all in stride, because, I guarantee, it will happen again. Tyler had nursemaids elbow--went out about 5 times when he was a toddler.

Cristin said...

That gave me the heebie jeebies.

Lesley said...

How crazy! I sounds like it was way more traumatic than it was serious. When that (inevitably) happens with my boys, I will know not to panic!

Thanks for sharing.

Nicole said...

You are NOT the worst mother!!! But I can imagine it was horrible, poor Kayla and poor YOU!! Glad to hear things went well, though.

Christy said...

yeah I bet I still win for the worst mother award. But I hear of this stuff happening all the time. I worry when Heath swings Addi by her hands I swear it will happen to me one day. Oh and it's kinda funny that your friend called Erica your dogs name. Glad she isn't permanently disjointed. Miss you guys.

Rick and Eden said...

I can only imagine. That happened to some friends of ours as they were walking their son into sacrament meeting. He didn't want to go in and he tried to turn and bolt and out went the elbow. Talk about being embarrassed. They were in the chapel. I'm glad she was able to be over it so quickly. Those kind of things just happen.

alexandra said...

THis really is common. My friend's very gentle husband did the same thing to their sub-2 yr old daughter when trying to pull her into an elevator before the doors closed (also with an arm load of groceries). Don't feel bad.

Melissa said...

I can't even imagine you in hysterics. You are one of the calmest people I know. I'm glad Erica is okay and you have recovered emotionally!