Friday, August 22, 2008

Walking and Scorpions

BIG NEWS...Erica started "walking" yesterday. Up to this point, she would only take a step here or there without really realizing it and immediately fall down. Yesterday, I think she decided it was time to walk. That is how she works; She won't do something no matter how many times we work with her and then all the sudden, one day, she will just start doing it on her own (i.e., sitting).

While I was making dinner, she pulled herself up on the wall, got balanced and went for it. She took at least 4 steps and then fell over. She busted up laughing like it was the funnest thing in the world. Then she tried it over and over. She got to where she could take a couple steps and then balance herself and go a little further. It was great. She entertained herself for about 30 minutes. I tried to get it on video, but any parent knows that as soon as the camera comes out, all camera-worthy moments immediately stop. We'll keep trying.

In other news...when we first moved to Tucson a year and a half ago (has it been that long already?) I was paranoid about rattlesnakes, scorpions, and tarantulas. I expected them to turn up everywhere in my house. Well, after a year of not seeing any of these things, I began to relax. Bad idea.

The night of our anniversary, Troy found this by our front door:

Scary!!!! These things are dangerous and I can't stop thinking about what would have happened if Erica came across this thing. The next day, Troy put caulking in all the possible holes by the front door. We are also going to spray around the house with scorpion killer stuff. FYI - If you use a black light at night and shine them on a scorpion, they will glow. I went scorpion hunting the other night while Troy was working late, but thankfully I didn't find anymore.


We also found this in our yard a few weeks ago:


At least these aren't poisonous.

9 comments:

gretchen said...

Seriously creepy!!

But that's an awesome milestone for Erica! :)

M and M Madsen said...

even though the spider isn't dangerous... i still would have peed my pants!
Way to go Erica!!

Malinovka said...

YUCK! Should I be glad I don't live there?! :) I'm sure you're SO glad Erica wasn't around those critters. Congrats, Erica, on walking! It's such a big milestone! Hopefully you'll get it on film soon. :)

Andi said...

It's mostly because of the monsoons. I see 1-2 tarantulas every year during the monsoon, but never any other time of the year (I must clarify that I see them outside).

As for scorpions, we've had 2 since being in our house over 4 years. Not too bad of a ratio?

Melissa said...

i am impressed that you stopped to take pictures. we just yell a lot, kill them, and then after they are squished beyond recognition, think, huh, maybe we should have taken a picture :-)

Forest said...

I have to admit, scorpions freak me out. Maybe its from that Clash of the Titans movie.

I had hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon many times, but always stayed in cabins. Then I went with scouts and we slept on the ground in sleeping bags. People started finding scorpions when it got dark...so I positioned by sleeping bag between two other guys.

Shar said...

YAY for the walking! It sounds like Erica and Kapria have such similar little personalities. Maybe we can make them be roommates in college?

BOO for gross, poisonous, scary bugs. I hope you don't find anymore in the house.

Heather said...

I've seen lots of tarantulas while living in Tucson, but so far no scorpions. Scorpions totally freak me out.

julie said...

oh my gosh! what kind of wilderness crazy place are you living in! double yikes.