Tuesday, August 5, 2008

How Do You Know?

Yesterday afternoon, Erica started acting extremely fussy. Beyond ordinary fuss. She just got over a cold and she's teething. So, I thought maybe it was the teething or maybe an ear ache. I debated about calling the doctor, but I didn't want to be one of the first time moms that overreacted about everything. I'm actually very proud of the fact that we've made it over 10 months without a sick visit to the doctor. I decided to wait it out. She didn't have the greatest night and this morning she was still fussy. I finally broke down and called the doctor.

Thank goodness they actually had an appointment for this afternoon. Of course, right after I got off the phone, Erica started acting happier (but not totally herself, so I kept the appointment). Well, to make a long story short, the doctor found that she had a terrible ear ache. Erica started crying as soon as the doctor put the thing in her ear. Erica had barely touched that ear in the last 2 days. I had no idea it was hurting her. I'm so glad I went to the doctor and now we have her on lots of medicine. I wish I had called yesterday and got her in sooner, but I just didn't know what was wrong.

So my question to all of you, is how do you make the decision of when it is time to go to the doctor?

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Poor Erica. Don't feel bad, though. It is so hard to know. I hate going to the doctor just for them to tell me it is a viral thing and they can't do anything or they look at me like I'm an idiot. But I also think it is worth the trip and copay to know for sure. I hope she feels better soon! Oh, and that is hilarious about your dream. Weird.

Nicole said...

I agree with what Stephanie said. I usually wait a couple of days and if they're still fussing, we go in. OR...at our Dr office we can call and talk to the nurse. I'll describe the symptoms and then she'll tell me if she thinks I should come in or not. Usually I end up going in "just in case". I think it's worth the peace of mind.
poor Erica. I hope she feels better SOON!

Lesley said...

If Ian is fussy 'different' than normal, or if his sleeping habits changem I usually just go in... But then again, he has had 5 ear infections in his lifetime, and that is almost always what it turns out to be when he has those symptoms. I usually can make time to go in to the Dr., and it's worth the copay to know what is going on-- even if it ends up being nothing. I like that our Dr. can always squeeze us in the day we call for sick visits, and that they never make me feel like "one of those moms".

Maren said...

when we were on Medicaid I used to just go if I even slightly thought they might be sick, now I try to use a bit more discerning judgment. However in all the times I have gone only twice have they not found anything!
I can never tell when Finn had an ear infection, he was just not himself.

Unknown said...

Nancee...that is a question I was going to poll moms on this week! Raiden has been eating nonstop when he is awake, and I think it might be to soothe some pain he is having. But I really can't tell if something is wrong. It has been going on since Monday (I attributed it to all the action last weekend). Anyway, glad to know Erica is getting better!

Christy said...

I never know what the hell is going on Nancee. Is she sick,tierd, hungary,teething,gassy...etc. I never know when to go to the doctor, I've been twice when nothing was wrong and they give me the placating look and i know they are thinking "first time mommy? Yah your over-reacting but thanks for the $100 your insurance just paid us" And then there are the times I know somthing is up like when Addi had RSV and Heath didn't think anything was wrong and she ended up in the hospital for 2 nights. And when she had stepp, and I called the doc's office and ripped them a new one for not telling me. I think mothers instincts are pretty stong and you know more than you think. I usually go with my gut, its most the time right and I would rather know she is fine then spend the weekend wondering. You are doing a great job!

Erica said...

Oh Nancee, I feel your pain. It is hard to know when to call. I am sure that it is so frustrating for Erica not to be able to communicate what is wrong too. I usually just go with my gut. If I am that worried about it, I say it is worth the co-pay to go in. Seriously, I pray about everything these days and if I still feel worried, I pick up the phone...works for me. :)

Cristin said...

I never know either. Even if I take his temperature I think I took it wrong. You just have to go with your instinct and hope its right!