Tuesday, September 16, 2008

One Year Appointment

Erica had her one year appointment today. I knew it was not going to go well when she started screaming on the scale. Who knew that checking your weight and having your head measured would be so traumatic. Hopefully, this is not an indication of future body image issues. Maybe she is just really sensitive about how big her head is.

Anyway, she also has a cold right now, so originally I wasn't planning on giving her any shots. However, the doctor convinced me that since she didn't have a fever, it would be okay to do it. I hate feeling pressured to do things by the doctor, but I plan to vaccinate her sometime. I guess she will just feel doubly miserable now with the cold and shots, rather than make her go back later for shots. Of course, she screamed and screamed.

She also has another ear ache. The third one in a month. The doctor prescribed yet another antibiotic. I hate to drug her up all the time, especially when it doesn't seem to be helping her. Any thoughts on alternatives? I don't want her ear to ache either, so what does a mother do?

To top the day all off, I forgot to cover her car seat with a white towel while we were inside (a necessity in Southern Arizona to keep it cool). I ended up burning her with the seat belt buckle. Poor girl!! She did have a nice, long nap today though.

Stats
Weight: 19 lbs 10oz (25%) - Almost time for front facing car seat. Can't wait!!
Height: 29 in (45%)
Head: 46.8 cm (90%)

11 comments:

Nicole said...

oh poor thing!! Good luck with the ear infections. I don't know much about them, honestly. She is looking as cute as ever, despite the hard day! You're such a good mommy!!!

Unknown said...

Heehee! Erica does have a big head. It's ok, Raiden will catch up quickly because he has Ryan's noggin. :) I'm sorry she's feeling so sick! Tomorrow I have the boys so if she's better or just wants to get out let me know.

I am ok to hobble on my ankle- as long as I wear the brace and don't bend it for the most part. I look like a pirate with a wooden leg. Which is perfect practice for my halloween costume. haha

Andi said...

I have a front facing carseat if you want it... I mean want to buy it. ;) I'm switching Paige to a booster.

I cry too when I get weighed.

Stephanie said...

Wow, I think we had the exact same day! Even down to the cold, the percentiles, and the hot car seat. Weird. Sorry, about the ear ache. I always think my kids have them and turns out they don't, so obviously I don't know. Hope she starts to feel better soon, though.

OceanMama said...

Hey Nancee, Sorry to hear that little Erica is sicky. About the ear infections, My favorite Naturopath, Dr. Mercola has a lot to say about them. His site is mercola.com and I've learned a lot from it. Search "ear infections" and you'll get more than you'd ever want to know on the subject. Hopefully you'll find something useful that might help Erica without having to give her the antibiotics. And yes, you are a very good mommy!! Love, Moana

Heather said...

Switching to a forward facing car seat is one of my favorite milestones.

Dangcutekids said...

Sorry to hear about Erica's rotten day. I think you can definitely attribute the big head to her amazing smartness, which she definitely gets from her brilliant parents, and grandparents and aunts and uncles of course :) We're doing shots for the boys on Friday and I'm straight not looking forward to it. I hate them too!

Rebekah said...

Doctor's visits belong in the lower circles of hell in my opinion. One time Eve fell asleep as I was talking to the doctor and had to be woken up with the shots; awful.

She's a darling little girl though.

Shar said...

sorry to hear about the rough day. I hate it when those happen. I hope she's feeling better and you are too.

{priscilla} said...

i don't feel so bad that my little preemie is not growing...at his doctors appt last week for his asthma and ear infection he weighed 18 pounds. so he's not too far off from 'normal' weight. i feel for ya on the sick thing....try all 4 kids at once!! it's hell!

Melissa said...

i didn't know that trick about the towel, i will have to try that. i can't believe how big she is already. the year has flown by. you are going to love having her face front!