Thursday, October 21, 2010

Papa's Funeral

The first weekend of October, I had the privilege of attending my grandfather's funeral in Salt Lake City. He was my last surviving grandparent. I will miss him, but I am glad he no longer has to deal with physical suffering.

The funeral service was filled with beautiful music and speakers. It was wonderful to see so many of my family members all at once.

My oldest brother with 2 of his kids


Two more brothers and some nieces.


More brothers and a sister-in-law (okay, 1 is the same as the picture above, but I really do have 6 brothers)


Another brother and sister-in-law


My one and only sister


Some more sister-in-laws and nieces


My 2 best cousins growning up


The graveside service was beautiful as well. My Papa was a WWII Veteran so he had a flag over his coffin that was folded and presented to the oldest grandson bearing his last name. There were also some gun shots and a bagpipe player playing Taps.



My immediate family members that were able to attend.


Following the services, we were grateful to be able to return to the church for a luncheon provided by Papa's ward. I know it took a lot of time out of their Saturday to prepare the food and serve us. It was greatly appreciated.

Here is my mom and dad at the luncheon.

It was a very quick trip, but I am so glad I did it. We were able to spend some more time as a family together on Sunday (while attempting to watch General Conference). We are grateful to the Claytons, who let us stay at their house.

2 comments:

Malinovka said...

I loved seeing all the pics of your family! I can't believe how much I forgot about them, and how you only have one sister. That's wonderful that you were able to make it and be there together as a family.

Freckles Phillips said...

Thanks for posting all these pics Nance.
You're my one and only sister too! :)