Wednesday, April 2, 2008

How Did You Celebrate April Fool's Day?


Late Monday night Troy's stomach started to ache. He went to bed, but his stomach still bothered him during the night. In the morning, little Erica threw up her bottle. After talking to a friend, I learned that the flu was running rampant in our neighborhood. Troy's stomach was still bothering him in the morning and the pains started to increase. He was getting intense aching and tightness in his upper stomach. Soon the pain became so unbearable we decided to take him to the nearest Urgent Care facility (20 minutes) away. We're still thinking it is only the flu, so I only threw in 2 bottles and 2 diapers for Erica because we were in a rush to get out the door.

When we arrived at Urgent Care, we found that it did not open until noon. FYI-we were later informed that it didn't matter because Urgent Care will send abdominal pain patients to the ER anyway. So, then we drove another 25 minutes to ER. The whole time Troy's pain was increasing. About 20 minutes from the hospital, Troy's hands started to tingle and it was moving up his arms. He said he felt like his whole body was going numb. About 5 minutes from the hospital, he started vomiting all over himself and the car and he was screaming in pain. I'm starting to really panic because I have no idea what is wrong with him, I'm trying to drive and I swear every slow driver was in front of us and it felt like we hit every red light. I called 911 from the car even though we were so close. They said we could pull over and wait, but that I would probably get there before they ever would.

It seemed like forever, but we finally pulled up in front of ER. I ran in and frantically called for someone to come help. Troy didn't have the strength to get out of the car on his own and I couldn't help him because Erica was still in the car. Now, I'm sure that the ER gets frantic people in there all the time and I'm sure sometimes it is not as big of a deal. However, this ER lady was moving SO slowly, like she intentionally wanted to prove to us that we weren't that much of an emergency. When we got back to the car, Troy's whole face had gone numb and he was talking like he had just gone to the dentist. I lost it at this point. I thought he was having a stroke and every horrible thought of losing him was going through my head. The ER lady finally realized that it was actually an emergency and hurried in to get a nurse to help. Hello - if you work in the ER, you should expect to treat everything like an emergency. Anyway, they said this numbness was from his body going into shock and it was normal.

While they took Troy in, I parked, grabbed Erica and ran inside. Apparently, the slow nurse that took him in asked for ID, but the other nurse said to just take him on in. I had no idea where they took him and after wondering around, with no one helping me, I finally found him in this random room. They were asking him all the usual questions. He was freezing/shivering and I asked if they could get him a blanket. For whatever reason, they said they couldn't until they got his arm band. So I pulled Erica's little blanket out of her diaper bag and put that on him until they got him a better one.

In the meantime, I'm trying to find someone on a weekday morning to drive all the way to the hospital and pick up Erica for who knows how long. She wasn't going to be allowed in the back of the ER because she was so young. Plus, I wanted to give all my attention to Troy. Thank goodness for Mindi Parker. She said she could take Erica for as long as we needed and she left immediately to make the 45 minute drive to the hospital. When she arrived, she said that she was going to go swimming that morning, but for some reason felt like she should run instead, which made her available to help out. Mindi still had to take her kid to a doctor's appointment that day, make dinner for someone else and who knows what else. And to top it all off, on the drive home, Erica exploded poop out of her bum and all over everything else. Mindi kept her all day and I will be eternally grateful to her for doing this.

While we were waiting for Mindi to come, they took Troy to another room and we just waited. His pain was fluctuating between a 7 and a 10 and he kept moaning. Then we went off to another room where they asked for his information again. Why is it there are always more patients in ER than doctors. They know there are always going to be people with emergencies, so I don't get why they don't keep more people on hand. He started vomiting again on the hospital floor and that got them moving a little quicker.

Finally, he got a "room". It was basically a stretcher in the hallway under a piece of paper taped on the wall with a number on it. Where are we, Ukraine? I kept asking for a blanket and after they took his temperature, they finally got him one. They got him hooked up to an IV and gave him some pain killer and anti-nauseous drugs. Soon the pain drastically reduced and he just layed there feeling groggy. They took some blood to run some tests and the doctor came to feel his stomach and ask him some questions.

After a few minutes, Troy lifted his head to vomit again. Suddenly, his eyes rolled back and he passed out. I was saying his name and asking if he could hear me and he didn't respond. I yelled for someone to come help and a couple nurses came rushing over. By then, Troy had come to and looked confused. They lowered his head, checked his vitals and everything looked normal. They said sometimes the drugs have this effect and told Troy not to lift his head up anymore.

Well, we just sat there waiting. Troy was in and out of sleep, but at least he wasn't in pain anymore. I was updating everyone on the phone. About an hour or so later (who keeps track of time in ER), I see the doctor walking by. I asked him how long it would be before we would know anything. He said that they already had the results of the blood tests and nothing serious was wrong. All his organs were normal (i.e., pancreas, liver, gall bladder). That is great news!! Why in the world didn't someone come tell me as soon as they knew so I wouldn't sit there worrying that Troy might die any second. Aaaaaah!!!

The doctor said it was probably some type of viral infection in his stomach and they were going to keep Troy a little longer to monitor him. If he did okay, they would discharge him and send him home with prescriptions for pain killers. Troy did okay and so about an hour later we left the hospital.

We had a good night and he is feeling much better today. He is tired and not 100%, but we are sure glad that he will be alright. What a crappy April Fool's Day. I waited to post today so everyone knows this is not a joke.

14 comments:

kellie said...

I am so relieved that he is okay! A trip to the ER does make you question what country you're in-when i went to the ER to get treated for rabies, I sware they had never given the shots before. The doctor even started sentences with "I guess..." not very reassuring. And, isn't is great that we can rely on good friends like Mindi when we are in a pinch, and I am sure it made her very happy to help!

Dangcutekids said...

What a nightmare! It sounds like some kind of horror movie. I'm so glad to hear that Troy is alright, and you and Erica are too.

Maren said...

I am so sorry! That sounds awful! Hope he continues to get better!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness. What a terrible thing to happen. I am glad he is alright. I swear why is it the the ER have to move so dang slow! Its out of control. In the movies they are always hustling about but not in real life. Sheesh.

M and M Madsen said...

Ok, I would have been a freaking basket case- you handled it so well. I am not sure what you even do in those situations other than pray your heart out and wait. I feel so bad for you because I am sure you are still in a state of shock yourself from going through that. Matt tells me all the time that he gets calls from the ER 6 and 7 hours after the person checked in! Crazy!

Lesley said...

I am glad that Troy is doing better. That is a scary experience. I hope you are back on your feet in no time. Our prayers are with you.

Christy said...

I think Troy was doing it for attention.:) All joking aside I am so thankful that he is feeling better! I think the ER is a Zoo. Its like you have to tell them how to do their job, and you haven't even gone to med school. Anyway thank goodness for Phenergan.(probaby the anti-nausea drug they gave him!) C

Jenn S. said...

Oh Nanc! So so scary! I would have been freaking out and running red lights? I never realized how far you live from a hospital - that is crazy!

So so glad that everyone is okay. Praying for a speedy recovery.

xoxo

Messimoo said...

So scary! I would have been thinking just as you were. I am so glad he's ok. Personally, I'd call an complain about the ER!

Bethany C. said...

What a terrible April Fool's Day. The whole time I was reading I was SURE you would say it turned out to be a kidney stone. That's pretty much the way I would have described Calvin was when he was in kidney stone pain and we didn't know what it was. Scary! So glad he's ok. Phew. You're a trooper!

Stephanie said...

I'm sorry you guys had to go through that. I hate going to the ER. They always treat you like you shouldn't be there and your pain isn't real.

gretchen said...

That anti-nausea drug made me pass out too! I'm glad everything ended up being ok!

Nicole said...

AHH!! What a crazy day! I'm glad you guys tunred out okay and things are looking better!

Unknown said...

I finally read this post. I didn't know he was that bad! I'm sorry you had to go through that, but at least everything turned out ok. How scary!