Monday, April 11, 2011

Keepin' it Real

I hear some people complain that blogs aren't reality, that they portray some kind of false, wonderful life. My theory is that we only are blogging about those things we really want to remember.

The following pictures are not significant or interesting, they just portray a snapshot of our life right now, for better or worse.

We all got colds and then the flu a few weeks ago. We were grateful for friends that dropped off food. We were grateful for iPods that occupied our daughters.


We go outside a lot to help pass the long day. I try to get away with napping on a blanket on the grass, but that usually doesn't happen. I end up having to rescue Sadie from eating something.


I give my kids ice cream (and other treats) to also help pass the long day. I gave up on trying to keep Sadie's clothes clean. She goes through a couple outfits a day.



I think I am a clever mom for turning a tent on its side to give my kids a new activity. I am a cool mom for letting them eat inside the tent (right?).


I take random pictures of my children for something to do.




I think I need to be more creative. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Lesley said...

I liked this post because you are totally right that we need to remember how things actually are. AND I think we need to show each other that our kids wear dirty clothes and aren't always picture perfect, because I really can't relate to that image of motherhood. But I didn't see any piles of laundry in the backgrounds. And no one was ever crying. What's up with that?

My favorite trick is to send my kids outside when I am on the phone, and keep handing them otter-pops through a barely-open door until I done. Sometimes they eat like 7 otter-pops each. But I get to converse in peace (mostly!)

I would like to curse / thank Troy for developing the princess app. Ian LOVES it. Scott hates it. The balloon one is the best though, and has allowed us many Sunday morning sleep-ins, until my kids starting fighting over who gets to hold the i-Pod.

Why do I always write such long comments to you? I think I just really miss you guys. We really want to hang out with you.

Freckles Phillips said...

Nice post Nance! I love that your girls are like toddlers going on teenagers with their cell phones hahah.
It seems like you're being pretty creative already! Some other ideas.... remember when Mom would have us build sculptures out of marshmallows and toothpicks? That could be fun for Erica. We are sending you an egg decorating kit for Easter I think so that will keep them busy for like 10 minutes hopefully. Hmmm... games? Like hide & seek, tag, follow the leader, and whatever fake games you feel like making up. Songs?? Like ones that go on and on and kill a lot of time (ex: the old lady who swallowed a fly) hahaha but maybe you can make the song about Sadie since she eats everything. ;)

Nicole said...

Okay, this post cracked me up and I totally agree. I'm loving the comments too..those ideas are awesome. I haven't had a peaceful phone convo like...since my first was born!
I'll try to come up with some more ideas and comment again. :)