Friday, October 9, 2009

Cruisin'

As a combined birthday present for Troy and me, my parents offered to watch Erica for a few days. We decided to take advantage and go on our first cruise. I won't bore you with my worries about leaving Erica for 4 days (she has severe separation anxiety) because she did just fine and has already asked us to go on another cruise so she can play with her grandparents and cousin Lincoln.

We took the Carnival Elation from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.


Our room was just above water level. Here was our view. We went near a couple of tropical storms, so sometimes the waves would crash up into our windows. The rocking really got to me a lot more than I thought it would. It took about 3 days of being on land, after the cruise, before I stopped feeling that "boat rocking" feeling.


We went with our neighbors Rick and Holly. We highly recommend going with another couple. Then you can enjoy your dinner companions. And lunch. And breakfast. And all the meals in between. We had a great time traveling with them.


Speaking of food, that is pretty much all we did on the cruise. We ate non-stop from morning until night. One day, I remember going to lunch and not even being hungry, yet somehow I managed to down a calzone, a turkey wrap and some cake. Very dangerous. The food was so good though and it was nice not to have to pay for it once you were on the ship. They also made it look pretty. Here is what they did with just a couple pieces of boring fruit. Yum!!!


Troy took advantage of all the activities the boat had to offer. The waterslide (it was too windy and cold for me to get in the water, but I am a water wimp):


The mini-golf course. With 30 mph winds on the top deck, I gave up after one hole. Troy played the whole 9.

We enjoyed spending a whole day at a Mexican beach. The water was warm and beautiful.
You just have to watch out for those Mexican pirates.
Every evening when you came back to your room, housekeeping had left a new towel animal and a piece of chocolate. Just in case the 4 desserts you had at dinner were not quite enough to satisfy your sweet tooth.
We had an amazing time and it went way too fast. I'm really glad we went, but I am also very happy to be back on land. I don't think a cruise will ever be my first choice for a vacation again, but it was worth doing once. We are so grateful my parents watched Erica so we could go.

7 comments:

The Jo's said...

no no no. WE have to go on a cruise with you guys too. in summer or something. I am STILL so jealous. I have to remind myself that I went on on just a few months ago. sigh.

Cristin said...

That looks fun, especially without kids. Thanks for the nice review of the cruise, too. I've thought a lot about going on a cruise because sometimes they have some good deals so it was good to hear about your experience.

M and M Madsen said...

You guys are really about as cute as they come. You do so many fun things. I can't wait until we move to Vegas just so we can jump in on some of your fun activities. Happy birthday Troy- the big 3-0!

Mindi said...

That last picture of you and Troy is so good. What a cute couple! I've always wanted to go on a cruise but really wonder if I could take the rocking. I have a feeling that I would need some strong antinausea drugs! Glad you and Troy got to do this!

Andi said...

Wow, lots of food. Somehow that, and the rocking boat just don't seem to mix very well in my mind.

Glad you had a good time, and that Erica survived with out you. ;)

Steve and Kalli said...

O I loooove cruises! I am so jealous... and happy that you guys got to go! It looks like fun!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had fun and that Erica did so well!! I loved getting dressed up for the formal night when we went! You guys look cute in that pic.