Saturday, January 10, 2009

I am so irritated...

I started filling out the Arizona Bar application a few months ago. Yes, I am still filling it out and I will tell you why in a minute. I want you all to read through this and see if you could actually come up with all this crazy information. It is seriously harder to fill out the application than study for the bar. I am paying almost $500 for a background check, but I think they should be paying me for all this information I have to provide. Here is just a sampling:

1. Every permanent and temporary address for the last 10 years.

2. Account for the entire period of your life since age 18, including employment, schooling, unemployment, military service, extended vacation, etc.

3. Any traffic violations in the last 10 years, including non-moving violations.

4. Driving records from everywhere you have been licensed in the last 10 years.

5. List 5 attorneys that know you, oh but they can't be anyone that is related to you, has supervised you or is listed elsewhere in the application (see below).

6. Oh, by the way, for each event listed in #2, fill out another page that includes the position you held, dates, employer's name, employer's address at time of employment, employer's current address, supervisor's name, reason for leaving employment, and a current reference at the employer who can verify your employment. However, this reference can't be listed anywhere else in your application. (That is 11 more pages for me.)

7. Oh, by the way, for each place you listed in #1, fill out another page that includes 3 more references. That is 3 for EACH place. Include their name, contact info and how many years you have known them. And, of course, you can't list anyone that has already been listed elsewhere in your application. That is 36 more references for me. Does anyone even know this many people. If you are reading this blog and even feel like you know me at all, can I use you as a reference? Please email me your contact info and how long I've known you. Thanks.

As you can see, I'm stalling on completing the application. I'm seriously debating whether I should actually finish this thing after all. Thoughts?

13 comments:

Forest said...

That is ridiculous. Now I'm irritated.

They also put up a new sign in our stake center's kitchen that I saw for the first time today. It says that you may only warm food, not prepare it. Makes me mad. Last time I checked this was the U.S. where we are free to do what we please in our kitchen. It seems I'm the only one infuriated by this.

PS-Sorry for the digression.

Stephanie said...

Wow, that is ridiculous! That application is going to be huge once you finish. If you need a reference for our time at Alta, I'll send you my contact info. I don't mind. Good luck with that. I hope it goes as quickly as possible!

barlows said...

I am not much help for your references since I haven't lived with you in over a decade, am not a lawyer, and haven't ever worked with or employed you. BUT if you need a friend reference throw my name down. One you finish the beast of an app, I bet you'll never regret it.

gretchen said...

Wow--that is intense! And I thought the NASD application was thorough, and that's basically just numbers 1 & 2!! Good luck remembering everything from that long ago! And you can definitely use me as a reference from Ukraine if you need it!

Andi said...

Maybe you should not move and in 10 years apply again? No, keep plodding along and I will try to supply the brownies to make it through...

Mindi said...

Wow, that is crazy! I wouldn't be able to come up with enough references and I know I could never come up with 5 attorneys I know. Luckily I haven't needed any. Good luck!!

Unknown said...

how frustrating! Are you applying to be an attorney or an FBI agent? Um, and how are you supposed to know people's CURRENT addresses? You would have to be a stalker to find out, and they could be dead for all you know.

stacey said...

It sounds much worse than the forms that Norms has had to fill out for his security clearance background checks. I do know that instead of listing every apartment that he lived in during his mission, he just listed the mission home as his address for the two years he was out. He couldn't even find the info to list each separately. Luckily, we've only lived in 2 homes for the last 10 years so that would make it a bit easier.

Malinovka said...

That is seriously insane. It's not like you're applying to work for the federal government!! Good grief. If I'd work for any of the references, let me know!

Nicole said...

That is nuts. Serioulsy. They must think you're a terrorist or something. YIKES! I'm in if you need a reference!

Molly M said...

Nancee, just make up fake names as references: Mumbly Joe, Amanda Hugginkiss, Hugh Jass, Joey joe joe junior shabbado. Those sound real enough. And for the addresses of where you were on your mission, just write everything in Russian and they wont be able to read it anyway! Then you can make up all sorts of crazy info!

Holly said...

Honestly... they can't possibly be that serious. You already passed the bar in two other states, can't they just refer to all the mound of paperwork? And if you didn't know it, you can always use us as a reference. Good luck with the paperwork. Blah...

The Fifes said...

that's crazy!! Let me know if you need anything from us...